- Not having pain does not necessarily mean your back is healthy – If your back does not hurt, that does not mean that everything is alright. When it comes to back problems, pain is usually the last symptom of dysfunction. In fact, it may take months before a person suffers from symptoms related to his or her back issues. That is why people in car accidents are strongly recommended to seek chiropractic care right away, as swift and abrupt jolts to the body can result in back problems, but the pain may not be noticed immediately. And as far as medication goes, pain relievers may subdue pain, but they do not fix the underlying issues in the back.
- Your spine controls every other function of your body – The nerves that travel throughout the body and control every bodily function originates in the spine. If the joints in your spine are not aligned or functioning properly, this will impact how the rest of your body receives nerve responses, therefore interfering with normal body functions. For instance, chiropractors often adjust a person’s mid-back if he or she suffers from irritable bowel syndrome. The upper back may be adjusted to help a person who suffers from acid reflux.
- Chiropractors do not fix your back – Contrary to popular belief, chiropractors cannot “fix” your back. Instead, chiropractors adjust your spine to allow for higher rates of proper nerve signal transmissions to the rest of your body. They analyze each individual’s back and where the dysfunction is originating from, then adjust the back to restore better nerve flow so that the nervous system can function better. Because the spine can become unaligned over time, many individuals visit their chiropractor each month, or even once a week to get realigned.
- Chiropractic care is great for any age – From increasing range of motion and balance, many seniors can benefit from chiropractic care. Even young children can benefit from chiropractic care, as it has been shown to encourage healthy brain function and nervous system development. And believe it or not, infants are also checked for alignment issues in the upper back that may result from the birthing process.
- Chiropractic care does not hurt – It is common for new patients to be apprehensive about their first adjustment because they have been told that you can hear popping and cracking sounds – and, understandably, that freaks people out! However, chiropractic care is painless and will only make you feel better. The adjustment that most people get nervous about is the neck adjustment. When a chiropractor adjusts the neck, the joints within the neck will make a popping sound because of the space being created in the joint cavity – referred to as a cavitation. Also, it is important to know that chiropractic adjustments do not wear out your joints.
- Athletes use chiropractic care for better performance – Because chiropractors specialize in improving body movement, it is common for athletes to have chiropractic adjustments before and after sport-related activities. Chiropractic adjustments improve balance, coordination, help prevent injuries, and also speeds the recovery time of injuries sustained during sport activities.
Chiropractic care often intimidates people because they do not understand how it works or they are afraid of having their neck and back adjusted.
At Green Valley Chiropractic, we understand that it is sometimes difficult to trust new care professionals and practices. Because we want you to only feel your best, we offer free first-time consultations. If you would like to discuss your back pain with an experienced chiropractor, call today to set up your free consultation – no pressure or obligation. We just want you to feel confident in choosing chiropractic care.